By BeeWench Farm
As the weather is starting to warm up, our local farmers have even more delicious produce to choose from. You should start to notice more berries and fruits as they come into season. There are still plenty of leafy greens and you might even find a few early tomatoes. We must buy the big box of strawberries because if we buy anything smaller, there’s a little empty container by the time we get back to the car. They just smell so amazing when they are in season and are irresistible.
Here are some in-season fruits and veggies that you should be able to find at most of our local farmer’s markets:
- Green Peas
- Swiss Chard
Mother’s Day is a perfect reason to visit the Saturday Morro Bay Market. Bring your mom and treat her to all the wonderful foods, flowers, and sweet treats available. You can pick up everything you need to make your mom a truly special Mother’s Day meal and some beautiful flowers. Don’t forget to stop by Stepladder Creamery’s booth to pick up her favorite cheese for avocado toast. Amanda from Stepladder Creamery recommended the super fresh and brand new Chevre, which you can spread on the toast with the avocado, or the nutty, salty Cabrillo, which can be grated on top. They make everything at their farm in Cambria, so it is always fresh and delicious.
If you have a mom with a sweet tooth, be sure to pick up some fresh berries from the market. Serve them alongside the avocado toast just as they are or make a sweet Berry Parfait. Bacon and sausage are my favorite part of breakfast, so be sure to check out one of the local butchers or ranchers at the market for the best sausage flavors and tasty bacon. GreenLove Elixir has some amazing granola and syrups for your parfait treat. They also sell some chocolate truffles and bars for an extra sweet treat. You can also make mom a super special dessert and make some chocolate-covered strawberries, too.
Goat Cheese Avocado Toast
- Olive oil (check out The Groves on 41)
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 avocado
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon crumbled or spreadable goat cheese (Stepladder Creamery)
- Fresh dill, to taste
- In a medium skillet, heat a thin layer of olive oil over medium heat. Add eggs and cook for about 3 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Mash avocado flesh with a fork and divide between the toast. If using spreadable goat cheese like Stepladder’s Chevre, mix it with the mashed avocado and spread on the toast. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top each slice of toast with a fried egg and sprinkle each with crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle with fresh dill, and enjoy!
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup granola (GreenLove Elixer)
- ½ cup strawberries (about 6), hulled and quartered
- ½ cup raspberries (about 8-10)
- ½ cup blueberries (about 10-12)
- In two glasses, divide the yogurt and top with a layer of strawberries.
- Continue with another layer of yogurt, granola, and berries.
- Drizzle with honey.